When you begin the search for a childcare service provider, it may easily make you feel overwhelmed. Choosing the right childcare centre can involve a lot of calls and several visits. But with careful thought and planning, you can make the situation easier and finally be able to have a list of childcare centres to consider.
So now that you have your short list of childcare centres, how do you narrow it down? To help you with just that, we have prepared an extensive checklist of what to look for when choosing the perfect childcare centre for your child.
Choosing the Right Child Care Centre Checklist
a. Before Your Visit
This section contains some questions that you need to ask yourself before contacting your choice of local childcare centres.
- What are the days and time you need childcare services?
- What is your work situation?
- Are you working part-time or full-time?
- Would you prefer the childcare centre to be close to home, close to work or in between?
- Do you have someone who can assist you in getting your child to and from the childcare centre?
- How much am I willing to spend in my childcare arrangement?
- What type of childcare environment do I prefer for my child?
b. Over the Phone or Email
This section covers some of the questions that you need to ask via telephone or email. Some childcare centres may have their own contact page where you can send your questions to.
- What childcare services does the centre offer?
- What are the hours of their operation?
- What are the daily fees and how much?
- Can you claim the Child Care Subsidy?
c. During Your Visit
In this section, you will find questions that concern the atmosphere of the centre including its security and safety, as well as questions about the educators and staff.
d. Centre Atmosphere
- Do the children look happy? How about the staff?
- Do the children interact with each other and the staff happily?
- Do the rooms feel clean and organised?
- Are the toys and climbing structures age-appropriate?
e. Educators and Staff
- What are the qualifications of the educators?
- How long have the staff been at the centre/ industry?
- Has the childcare centre assessed by the National Quality Framework?
- If yes, what is the rating of the centre?
g. Health and Safety
- Are the children protected from the sun when they are outside?
- Is there an area where nappies are changed? Is it hygienic?
- Are there high standards for food preparation?
- Is the menu offered by the centre nutritious?
- Can the centre accommodate dietary requirements?
- Did a centre employee greet you at the gate and logged you in?
- Do educators and staff members wear IDs?
i. After Your Visit
Now that the visit to the childcare centre is done, you need to gather all of the information you have received to answer the following questions.
- Were you offered a tour of the childcare centre?
- What are your first impressions?
- Does the centre seem clean and organised?
- How did the educators and staff welcome you and your child?
- Did the childcare centre satisfy your initial criteria?
Take your time to answer these questions and gather the necessary information to be able to choose the right childcare centre for you.
If you want to ask the questions above or if there is other information that you would like to know, feel free to contact us at Berry Patch Preschool and Long Day Care Centre. Call us today or if you are in Kogarah, Botany, Wetherill Park, Blacktown, Greystanes and nearby suburbs, visit us on these childcare centre locations.